Doctor’s Surgeries: Sylicou, council offices
medical rooms on Tuesdays at 10.30am with
SYLIKOU TAVERNA - Re-Opening Tuesday 29th March 2011.Days open are Tuesday –Sunday. Monday closed.... Hours are: late afternoon say 1700 to late.. For more information/booking: call or E-Mail ADONIS at: email@example.com or Tel: 99794187
A Cyprus Village Link reporter has been to the newly re-opened Sylikou Taverna and is much impressed. Click here. for a recent review of the newly opened Taverna. 16/June 2011
SYLIKOU VILLAGE WELCOMES YOU... Kindly updated by KM 20/05/2011
Costas Polis is the Chairman of the Village Council and welcomes you to Sylikou. His offices on the main road through the village are usually open Tuesday-Saturday, all day...
How to get there by car...
- From LIMASSOL take the TROODOS Road and exit left after some 23km just after the BERETTA Gun Club sign, down to MONAGRI. Up to AY GEORGOUS and further up ... to SYLIKOU.
- From PAPHOS go to LIMASSOL on the Motorway and follow the route above.
- Or...exit the motorway at the MANDRIA exit, follow signs to LIMASSOL then after 3 km take the valley road north to the mountains. After 20km at MANDRIA, turn right to PERA PEDI as you exit PERA PEDI, turn right through the hamlet of KOUKAR then to SYLIKOU 3km.
The centre...of Sylikou lies 100m to the west of the KOUKAR - AY GEORGIOS road, and is signed at the village cross roads. Parking is easy, both before and after the centre. Walk the cobbled street to the olive tree with drinking water & washing facilities! See if you can find the tap...
The Taverna, Caffenio and Kiosk. are all open from Tuesday to Sunday. The Kiosk is on the main road and the Taverna & Caffenio are at the village centre. All have good parking.
- The Kiosk serving light drinks and local delicacies doubles as the postal agency to post letters and receive them courtesy of Postmistresses Antonia/Georgia.
- The new Caffenio in the centre of the village next to the church is an ideal resting/viewing place with drinks and ice creams.
- Even Mr Whippy ice cream, served by Mr George can be found in the village.
- The Taverna is special. It is full of delicious surprises including the economic prices. Adonis (99794187), a Chef of international experience specialises in all the traditional Cypriot dishes BUT adds to them in season with local homemade items including (if you are not driving) some amazing grape and orange juices!
The Church... of St GEORGE is some hundreds of years old and very well attended on Sundays 0700-1000 hours and Holy Days led by Father Christopher (www.christopherklitou.com) who has Orthodox study groups and uses the English language to help visitors understand, get baptised and even ...married.
Museum, olive press and Platea (paved open area) ...lie to the west of the village centre with good parking, The museum and olive press are open only By Appointment with the President of the Village council, Costas Polis (25-470732). The Platea, with its very ancient olives gives access to the olive press, museum and the mosque making a picturesque location.
Bus Services...to and from the village are scheduled mainly for those working on PLATRES and LIMASSOL. Timetables are available from the CTA and www.cyprusbybus.com
Parking...is extensive and close to the main features...
Toilets are modern and sited just south of the Church, the Kaffenio & post boxes, 10m.
The area is in The Commanderia region famous for not only commanderia but sultanas, sezouko, (almonds in a grape toffee), dried fruit and citrus in season.
Annual calendar of major events...the major feature is PASCHA (Easter) and all starts from there with the Commanderia festival week in July involving all the Commanderia villages in rotation. August sees village festivals...
A brief on Walking to Sylikou... Walking is to be enjoyed and there is a circuit of non-metalled roads from LOUFOU (1 hour+taverna) to AY MAVRI (1 hour+taverna and church) and back to Sylikou (1 hour+taverna).
A brief on walking around Sylikou...there are many routes several of which are suitable for disabled persons. All start from the taverna and are circular in design.
More details will be published shortly but in the meantime just follow your nose!
Flora and fauna in Season...almond blossom in profusion in late February-March, orchids in the same season...tasselled hyacinths in late March...likewise wild iris both the large and miniature varieties...
Increasing holiday facilities....there are now several high quality houses to rent in peaceful locations.
Communications... reasonable roads, some for the adventurous and broadband, improving monthly.